Hailing from East London, South Africa, Mobi Dixon has been producing music for 13 years. He released his 1st EP called “Dance is Kulcha” on vinyl and digital in 2007. After winning the DJU/AXE remix competition in 2008 he took his craft to the next level and worked with labels like House Africa, Sheer House and Kalawa Jazmee and did local and international remixes for artists like Micasa, Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Zim Ngqawana, Rowick Deep, Fistaz Mixwell, Giggs Superstar and Marissa Guzman.
In 2013 he released his debut EP under Soul Candi Records. “Tribal Soul EP” headlined by the single “Love Colour Spin” featuring the talented Msaki on vocals.
2014 sees the release of his new single “City Rains’ featuring talented soft rock artist M.Que. The fusion of jazz, soft rock and African rhythm best represents Mobi’s unique sound he calls ‘tribal soul’. The single created a huge demand for an album and Mobi Dixon released the Tribal Soul album in October 2014. The album went on to be Number 1 on iTunes and was in the top 10 most selling local albums at Musica in the 1st quarter of 2015.
In 2015 he released the repackaged album “Tribal Soul | Special Edition” which features exclusive remixes and bonus tracks. He also reintroduced “Love Colour Spin” to the mainstream which became an instant hit. The much anticipated single went straight into high rotation on all major radio stations and peaked at number 3 on the EMA top 100.
“City Rains” went on Double Platinum to top almost every chart in South Africa and stayed at number 1 on the EMA top 100 chart for 3 weeks.
- EMA TOP 100 (2 weeks, over 40 weeks on the chart)
- TRU FM TOP 30 CHART (2 weeks)
- YFM BOMB CHART (2 weeks)
- YFM TOP 30 CHART (3 weeks)
- METRO FM TOP 30 CHART (2 weeks)
- MHLOBO WENENE TOP 10 CHART (1 week)
- GAGASI FM TOP 30
- LIGWALAGWALA FM TOP 20
- #1 EAST COAST FM TOP 30
- ETV CLUB 808 CHART (2 weeks)
- MTV BASE TOP 40 (2 weeks)
- CHANNEL O TOP 30
- SABC1 LIVE AMP
Over 1.2 million views on YouTube
Over 1.3 million Shazam hits
- Platinum Status (released 2017)
- Latest single: Bhutiza (Gold Status)
- RAMS CHART: #1
- ITUNES DANCE CHART: #2
- TOP 100 (LOCAL & INTERNATIONAL) – 7
- TOP 100 LOCAL – 03
- TV – #1
2016 saw the release of the “Live the Music” album which cemented Mobi as a major player in the SA house music fraternity and a force to be reckoned with in the SA music industry as a whole. The album features the likes of Monique Bingham, Black Motion, Berita, Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Micasa, Bantu Soul and introduced Inga Hina and others.
The title single “Trigger” peaked at #3 in SA RAMS radio charts and was followed by the internationally recognized single “Mixed Up Chick” with Monique Bingham. The 3rd and final single “Ezizweni ft. Berita” peaked at #2 on the overall radio charts and the video hit the #1 spot as the most played video in South Africa on the TV charts. The album won “Best Dance Album” at the 16th MetroFM Music Awards and was nominated in the same category at SAMA23.
- Won the AXE/DJU Remix Competition 2008
- Sound of Sounds Top Student Awards for DJ Techniques & Music Production 2009
- Beneficiary of the NYDA/Oskido-I-Believe Programme 2011
- Production on Platinum-selling album “Dinaledi” by Vetkuk vs Mahoota 2012
- Beat Magazine SA Awards: DJ of the Year 2014
- Tribal Soul: Album of the Year Eastern Cape Music Awards 2015
- DOUBLE PLATINUM STATUS: Tribal Soul (album), City Rains (single)
- TRIPLE GOLD: Live the Music (album), Trigger (single)
- Collaboration with Maxwell, Davido, Bucie, Louie Vega, Donald, Monique Bingham, Black Motion, Heavy K, Zano, Micasa, Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Tresor, Sphectacula & DJ Naves
Diploma: Systems Engineering (Damelin 2004)
Certificate: Music Business, Management & Marketing (WITS Plus 2007)
Diploma: Sound Engineering (Soul of Sounds 2007 – 2008)
Certificate: Pro Tools 101 (Academy of Sound Engineering SABC 2008)
Diploma: Information Technology Programming (Varsity College 2009 – 2010)
Certificate: Events Management (Damelin 2012)